Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year....for real!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone!!!

I got up just in time to be able to call my wife. It was about 5 min til midnight here. The Kuwaitis / Bedouin people have been lighting fireworks off since dark (which around here comes at 1800) and I climbed the second guard tower here by the corner of our base to see the finale. Everywhere I could see in a 180 degree span I saw fireworks lighting up the sky, professional grade fireworks mind you. The kind that should be handled only by professionals. These fireworks were in the hands of mere mortal people. Which was scary, cause it seemed that everyone had them and was lighting them off in their back yard. Nonetheless though it was an impressive display of fireworks, and noise. The noise is what makes the guys in the guard towers kind of nervous at night as it would me too. You hear explosions and the ground shakes, and sometimes if you weren't watching the fireworks you would swear we were under attack. You can hear sounds of "celebratory gunfire" that always makes for an adrenaline filled few moments.

Yesterday 31 December we worked pretty hard, and earned our paycheck yesterday. I have to work again today so I will be going back to sleep here to get up in a few hours for breakfast. Working on New Year's day :) I don't think I've ever done that before, but the mission goes on.

Have a safe and happy new year celebration everyone.
john