Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Zombies

Hey everyone,
Just checking in. We're on a holiday schedule around here now, which means I should try to be up during the day, and I am. It is so weird for the last few months all I've seen is the dark side :), and slept during the day. So now being up during the day i don't know what to do with myself. My natural tendencies here are to fall asleep and stay in my tent, but with my Halo 2 borrowed out, and the tent camp internet not working. I've decided to venture out, for the most part things are pretty normal during the day, everyone works so i don't see many people that I know except for the night shift zombies who mull about between the smoke shacks and the CDO office.

I'm also getting agitated with the little things around here. I'm sick of wearing windpants.!!! but the only pair of regular pants I have are the nice white cargo pants I am supposed to wear on the way home :( so I am going to the exchange to see if they have any decent pair of jeans for cheap, otherwise I'll just wear the nice white ones. I've also dug out my black work boots that we were advised to bring with us, and this is the first time I've worn them. What a great idea that was...anyhow I'm sick of wearing running shoes, so I'm wearing the black boots :) Lots of lessons learned here, that if I ever have to come back, I will totally disregard whatever the command says to bring as extra stuff. I'll pack my seabag like I'm supposed to but, most definitely will bring more off time clothes.

I was also made aware of the fact that of those who have served in CHB7 we are the first ones to be mobilized as an entire batallion. Sure there have been individual augmentees at some point in time, but this is the first time that the entire batallion has been mobilized. During the Gulf War they were put on alert but never sent, so we have secured a place in CHB7 history atleast of being the first ones mobilized. I wonder how the new people at 7 feel about this, the fact that it is more than likely they will be mobilized with some future reincarnation of NAVELSF Forward.

Anyhow, take care folks 3 days until Christmas.
john